Being without power during a winter storm can affect your home and the well-being of your family. A few days without power in freezing temperatures is concerning if not properly prepared. Below is a comprehensive list of essential items to have ready for a winter power outage or severe snowstorm:
- Plenty of blankets, extra hats, socks and gloves
- Winter boots
- 5 day supply per person of snack foods with protein for energy
- 5 day supply per person of dry good foods that can be eaten cold
- Daily medications for adults and pets
- 5 day supply per person of Bottled water
- Flashlight with additional batteries
- Battery powered radio
- First Aid kit
- Emergency Flares
- Fluorescent distress flag and whistle
- Tool kit
- Matches and a lighter
- Coolers for food storage, if needed (*see below)
If using a space heater as an alternate heat source, keep it in a room with at least 3-5 feet away from any fabric or flammable materials in the room.
Check the expiration of all canned and dry goods, bottled waters, batteries and medications quarterly before placing in a survival kit for seasonal storage.
Make sure electronic devices such as cellphones or tablets are fully charged in preparation for inclement weather.
Food Spoilage Prevention
- Stock your refrigerator with a full supply of ice.
- Leave food in the refrigerator and freezer with limited opening of the doors.
- If ice in the freezer begins to thaw, remove food and place in coolers with ice to use as needed.